I've finally finished it!
"The Modern Gentleman"
I am the modern gentleman!
A clever man
A silvery man
A walk talk balking man
The assured man
The versed man
When the Canon is burned man
It’s easy to be the best amongst my fellow man
I’ll catch you on the sly, man
And rob you for all you’re worth
But I ain’t no Picasso
In an era where the Canvas is king
(Or queen, depending on your preference)
No, consider (me) at once the ladykiller
Migrating from romance in flow
But consider me a separate Entity
So give me a feather of Vigor
And (Like an ego trip at the edge of Hell)
I will be All-Body
All-Mind
All-Soul
I am the man who
When faced with the cry
“Meaningless! Everything is meaningless!”
By the heretics
(Those dog-eared, French-borne heretics)
I reply
“Yes, I agree.
But
We needn’t make a mockery of things.”
To which they reply
“Who made you think that our goal?”
The response:
“You’re adherents in name”
(Not spirit)
I will be my conception
Of the Grand Ol’ Trinity
And I will be my conception
Of all that a man should be
I'll be as Wilde was
A velvet-suited villain
A rakish wordsmith
With absinthe-stained breath.
I will not die a cadaver
I will cartwheel to my demise
Chuckling, "My, what a ride!"
I have seen your peaks
I have known your abysses
Bollocks!
Bollocks to the lot of it!
Let me know my own glory
Let me know my own despair
So long as it is mine
Mine to win
Mine to defeat
So long as it is mine
A cynic
That's what they'll call me
To my friends and lovers
Do I send this word
Don't be deceived
They are treacherous
They will do all that they can
And more than they may.
Their greatest trick will be my sainthood
When they beatify me
Tackle the pedestal that I may fall
We worship Jupiter, sure
But our heroes are truly,
Purely promethean
I will sing our age's hymn
I will light the incense
I will clean the altar
I will do all this and more.
We are a wily race of humanity
Trembling and mumbling
But for eons have I soaked
In the fetal fallopian fluids of the universe
I return to love you all
Aye, many of you are wicked
Despicable
Mediocre
But my faith in you is limitless.
And I am the modern gentleman
The soulless man
The coldest man
An altogether too bold man
Indeed, I am the modern gentleman
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment